Friday, December 23, 2022

Visit to my old lady

This glass-blowing priceless artefact is still on her shelf.

Icey floor too slippery for me to take. Falling to my knees on the floor once. Forcing oneself to get the steps in.

A step-dad's old friend.

Eighty-two, that was her age. Mine thirty-three. Her opportunities are running out, yet I did the best to comfort her, showing my presence as all the icy un-walkable crud I had to get through.

With a showing of my cartooning portfolio and character designs, coffee and one sugar. Her leg was going to get surgery as there was so much metal in it. After a series of falls, I encouraged her to get the muscles of her legs moving again.

Creamy beige dreams of the walls, that still remains and a carer of a low-functioning autism patient in her fifties. I remember her squeaks when I was twelve. Herself jumping about. Time really does move forward.

A reminder of the worst my disability has to offer.

She was within tears when I left. That's enough motivation. Family motivation to proceed onwards. To crack down on my project right now.

Finals year a wish over the ice.